MicroOutlaws.com Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest sellracing

Methonal Purge

Guest sellracing

I'm new to this and was wondering what types of rigs most people are using to purge the methanol from their engines following a night of racing?

Are there rigs for purchase or are most home made?

Thanks for the help.

Start the motor. Once its running have a can of WD40 close by and then shut off the fuel and keep the engine running by squirting the WD40 into the air cleaner. When you can smell the WD40 out the exhaust, its ready.

I just bought a micro and the way I was told to purge was not with WD-40

We have a gas can with a line attached with an A-N fitting. Turn the fuel off @ the tank and hook gasoline to the line. Start the engine and when it has a noticebly different sound and smell it is purged of methanol.

I tried to reply to this last night and couldnt, so I posed the same question @ MaXimum Dirt. It amazed me there were about 6 reply's and everyone had a different way of doing it.

Most actually take their carbs apart every week, which surprised me.

Anyhow good luck.

Jeff Palazzolo

Pacific (St. Louis) Mo

Guest sellracing

Guys,

Thanks for the ideas.

Jeff, I was told the same thing. Can you possible send me a picture of how your fuel rig is constructed? The guys I bought the car from had the same type of rig but I didn't have a chance to look at it closely before we left.

My email is robert.sell@bdhhi.com.

Thanks again for all of the support.

Have a shutoff between the fuel tank and fuel filter. Place a cappable "T" in the line after the shut off. Find a 16 oz. plastic container that has a tapered outlet similar to mustard/ketchup squeeze containers and fasten fuel line long enough to reach the "T". Wrap a heavy wire around it and have a loop on the other end so you can hang it from the roll cage.

I have the same type of rig that Jeff does. Have ball valves on the tank and return. Close them off and hook a gas line from a can into the line between the fuel pump and stop valve at the tank, start the engine, and wait for the sound to change and the smell of flooding gas. Don't run it too long like this or you'll wash the plugs out.

Guest sellracing

I will try to build what you guys are recommending. What type of jug would you recommend and what type of fitting connects the fuel line to the jug?

I am having difficulties visualizing this. There must be a nipple fitting that would screw into the bottom of a jug that the fuel line attaches to with an AN fitting on the other end to tap into the car fuel system.

Your making it harder than it is. :)

Use a ketchup(red)/Mustard(yellow) plastic squeeze container or something similar that has the tapered end and just push your fuel line over it. The container holds enough gas to flush out the alky.

I have found a real easy way to do this and clean out your fuel pump at the same time. I also put a T fitting after the fuel shutoff and before the fuel pump. It uses AN fittings on the straight sides and a 1/4 " pipe thread on the T part. The straight sides are male 6AN threads and the T part is Female with 1/4" pipe. I keep the T part plugged off with an allen head cap pipe plug. When the racing is done for the night I would take the plug out and I had just a normal 1/4" male fitting with a 3/8" end with a hose connected to it and to a funnel I would just pour a little bit of gas from a small 1 gallon jug into the funnel and the fuel pump would clean itself out as well as the carbs. You can get all the fittings from aeroquip or another place like earls.

We are new to micros also and the previous owner showed us how. We have a tee fitting between the shutoff and the fuel pump. We close the shutoff and start the car and run it out of methanol till it dies. then hook up the line to the tee and put the other end in a gas can. Remove the return line at the top of the tank and turn pump on until gas comes out of the return line and shut the pump off. leave the pump off and start the car and run it until it dies. Sounds a little complicated but it's really very simple. Hope this helps.

Robert

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I am an old fart, and cannot post a picture cause I don't know how!

Anyhow I was at the chilibowl this weekend and talked to a bunch of micro guys. I posed this question because there were so many different answers. Everyone agreed to NOT use gasoline. It seems to cause havoc with the spark plugs.

Everyone said they took the carbs apart every Monday and cleaned them as well as draining the fuel pump.

So I am convinced that is the way to do it, if you still want to use the gas can I guess mine is available (just kidding) ;)

Jeff

I'm not sure how finicky these carbs are as compared to our fuel injectors, but if you are just letting your car sit from race to race which is hopefully no more than one week, you shouldn't need to do anything. Now if it's going to sit more than a week at a time, yes you should do the above steps as mentioned.

Kelly Westphal

Wesmar Racing Engines